11. Juli 2015 05:50
As you perhaps noticed I decided to use Bandcamp for hosting my Albums. I will continue using both, Jamendo and Bandcamp for the near future and will finally decide wether to discontinue publishing on Jamendo. There are several reasons for this decision, and I'd like to shed some light on some of them:
- Jamendo turns to be unstable from time to time.
It starts with things like Emails with wrong Content (e.g. the confirmation mail for my latest released album had the wrong album title), goes on to site updates where search functionality is broken in major browsers, non working upload forms and broken deeplinks. As a developer I understand, that errors happen all the time, however I came to the conslusion that there is no kind of quality assurance on Jamendo. I don't even wan't to know how secure things like login accounts are.
- Issues are not addressed with the priority they should be.
- There was an issue some months ago that caused all deep links to Jamendo to not work and instead show the main page. This means, that e.g. all Google results lead to nowhere. This is more than bad and an absolute no-go for such a platform. It took weeks to get this figured out.
- The upload form for albums was broken for two or three weeks some time ago. Again, an absolute no-go. What would happen on youtube if noone could upload videos for that time?
- Proactive communication when it comes to problems does not happen.
- Jamendo uses Getsatisfaction.com (https://getsatisfaction.com/jamendo) as a customer support forum. When uploads were impossible, I found lots of posts describing the issue. Jamendo did not post anything here, even the closing post "It works again." was not done by Jamendo. The defunct upload form did not have an indicator that it's broken, you just got encoder error messages.
- There was an issue, where over a period of days, all albums that were uploaded seemed to be ok, but were never published. I sent a support mail after waiting for about two weeks asking, why my album does not get published and got a response saying that the issue is known and I have to re-upload. I really expect to get a notification about such issues without asking.
- Landr advertisement
- There seems to be a deal between Jamendo and Landr.com, that makes them send advertisement Emails to use Landr's automastering service. If there was a benefit for Jamendo members here I would consider this to be ok, however the pricing here is a total rip-off. You don't do that with you community.
- I joined Jamendo to make sure that my stuff can be heard and if I'm not making money with it noone else does. Now - I joined the monetization programs Jamendo offers, and one song of mine was licensed by a game developer. In got some cents from advertisement. However we're talking about less than 30€ here. Jamendo does not pay out money below 100€ (I think), so what I did not want to happen just happened. Someone made money with my music and I did not, I do not want it to work this way, that's why I revoked all rights for Jamendo do market my stuff.
- There appear to be some payment issues, check here: https://getsatisfaction.com/jamendo/topics/earnings_payment_delay
I hope Bandcamp will solve some of these issues for me, i'll keep you informed.
11. Juli 2015 05:38
My new Album ist out on Bandcamp.